Monday, February 11, 2013

Another Impending Sacrifice

Day 11


Tomorrow is Fat Tuesday.  A day for many that is a festival of indulgence and indiscretion.  Sadly I have never experienced the real Mardi Gras and even more sadly I doubt I ever will.  I know New Orleans has come a tremendously LONG was since being torn apart by Katrina but I can’t help but feel that some of the original “magic” was washed away with all that water.  Aside from the technicalities I’m also old…with a child…that I breastfed…and let me just tell you those ingredients don’t make for good bead gathering if you know what I mean.  Anyway.  Fat Tuesday for me is the Oh s*#t moment when I realize that the following day is Ash Wednesday and that the time has come for me to once more chose what I will give up for Lent. Lent, for those of you who don’t know, is the period of 40 days beginning with Ash Wednesday (and depending on how you celebrate) culminating on Easter Sunday(Good Friday for some).  Lent is meant to be a time of reflection, and recalls the 40 days of fasting Jesus took on in the desert before he began his public ministry.  To aid in this reflection most select something to sacrifice (usually something they love) although I have seen people also use this as an opportunity to give up a bad habit of some sort as well.  Although most closely associated with the Catholic faith, most all branches of Christianity celebrate in one way or another and I have been doing so for at least the last 10 years.  In the past I have given up sweets, red meat, and pizza…all loves of mine.  Last year however, as I was pregnant, I figured I was practicing more of a 10 month Lenten fast of MANY things I love (Sushi, booze, coffee) and couldn’t bear the thought of letting go of another so I took a break.  This year though it’s time to get back on track.
As I mentioned in one of my first blogs, this little project sparked from another line of thinking related to my physical health more so than my fiscal health.  Although my diet is not crapy by any means there is always room for improvement.  The bottom line is that when I eat a certain way, I just feel better.  This isn’t about diet or weight loss but quality of life.  So now with two days to spare I am contemplating eliminating grains for Lent…and really struggling with the idea.  This struggle is less about difficulty and a lot more about laziness.  Prior to becoming pregnant Mike and I both were pretty much living a Paleo/Primal lifestyle and feeling amazing for it.  But with that baby came carb cravings and hunger that I just could not ignore.  A pregnant body knows what it needs and I tried really hard to listen.  When we originally made the switch it only took a week or two and the cravings for those types of food really faded into the background.  I could walk past a try of bagels or donuts in the break room without even blinking but once I caved to my cravings during my pregnancy I have had a hard time regaining my resolve.
Now a days the issue is less about cravings and way more about convenience.  I have a full time job, I have a very active toddler and most nights I feel like I’ve moved a mountain if I got a real meal on the table (or counter as it were).  Please don’t miss understand, eating Paleo/Primal is not hard but it DOES require planning and preparation…another subject, if you recall, that I’m struggling with currently.  Dinner isn’t that hard at all but breakfast and lunch (mostly breakfast) are so much easier with instant oatmeal and cereal. 
When I commit to my Lenten goal I take it very seriously and as such don’t want to deliberately set myself up for failure.  On the other hand, Lent seems to be the only time of year my resolve is stronger than my “wants”.  Left to my own devices a Monday morning commitment to skip the bread ends with a brownie someone brought in from home but if I give something up in the name of something bigger than myself (IE The Lord or my baby) it’s a breeze…weird I know…So I guess I will spend the next 48hr talking myself into using this as a spring board to wellness…and an opportunity to eat as much pizza and cookies as I can.  Fat Tuesday indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment